[meteorite-list] Technical question about NomCom and Bulletin

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 14:09:17 -0700

Hi Paul, Carl and others,
        Paul wrote:
> Some researchers argue that authenticating and publishing
about stolen
> artifacts and fossils definitely increases their
commercial value and, thus,
> rewards illegal activity. They
would argue that this also encourages the
> demand and trade
in stolen artifacts and ultimately results in more artifacts

being looted.

         Artifacts are really a different category because theft is theft
and they really do reflect a country's heritage - however, that does not
mean withholding information just because an artifact was stolen is not a
Blow against academic freedom and, in fact, a form of censorship.

        Carl wrote:
> I think nomenclature needs to publish a set on guidelines for classifiers to
> follow and allow and accept more peoples opinions and allow then to classify
> there own meteorites. .
> In other words if Jason says he found an ordinary chondrite he should be able
> to submit it himself without having to have a SEM evaluation. As stated this
> is an ordinary chondrite why do we need a scientist to tell us that?
> Please understand what I am saying is that it does not take a Ph,D to
> determine this.

Really? This would open up a never ending can of worms. Labs and SPECIFIC
Individuals approved of by the committee prevent the huge cluster **** that
would result from such a practice.
        If you are really serious about this, the thing to do is join the
Meteoritical Society and volunteer to head up a committee to set the
standards and outline the process that would result in an ability to
evaluate and approve of qualified individuals to perform such a service.

        Lastly,
        Not all laws should be honored.
        Several examples can be sited:
A) Pot will end you up in jail in most states, but you can smoke tobacco
which kills over 33% of those who smoke over a lifetime.
B) On a more serious note:
        1) In some countries slavery is still accepted.
        2) In some countries burning your wife alive is acceptable.
        3) In some countries killing your daughter, sister etc. is EXPECTED
            if she "shames the family" by being raped.
        4) many countries now forbid the export of meteorites as a violation
            against the "Cultural Heritage" of said country, completely in
opposition to the FACT that meteorites (with very, very few
exceptions) are in no way cultural nor are they heritage.
        I believe I will leave this argument all together as I have not
heard one single word to give me even the slightest inclination to
Consider the withholding of information on meteorite types, names or
Any other factors regarding them to be a good idea. In fact, I see it as
fascist and not all that far removed from book burning.
        So, I will remain quiet on the issue and not interfere with others
Expressing their own opinions. (unless it gets so out of hand I feel like
Lewis Black - as though my head will explode!)
        Best wishes, Michael