[meteorite-list] More on world sinkholes

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 11:33:50 +0200

Listees,

I was amazed and intrigued by the Guatemala
sinkhole report, something that always fascinated me.

There are larger such holes around the world,
natural and not always filled by water.
I remember having overflown by helicopter the 2
famous big holes in the Sarisarinama region in remote South Venezuela.
This was one of the most impressive views.

Here are some links:

1) General about Sarisarinama:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarisari%C3%B1ama

2) Views (click on clip 5):

http://www.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=http://www.lastrefuge.co.uk/images/filmlibrary/sarisarinama_sink_hole.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.lastrefuge.co.uk/data/aerials/tepuis_aerial_samples.htm&h=113&w=200&sz=11&tbnid=lwph4FMnj1IrnM:&tbnh=59&tbnw=104&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsarisarinama&hl=fr&usg=__Kne9TnuqGa3DrTVz1sTqlK87wOw=&ei=NsAETPc6kb3iBuKH-MsO&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=3&ct=image&ved=0CCAQ9QEwAg

3) At the time (1995) it was forbidden to
approach this site by some flying machine (no roads nor paths go there).
On the way to El Paui gold mines (near the triple
borderline Venezuela-Brazil-Guyana) with an
expedition, we arranged with some local army
official while in San Francisco de Yuruani, to
have a short helicopter flight over the Sierra de Neblina/Sarisarinama sites.
Breathtaking...

Apparently there are now some organized tours
offering tourists an overflow the area by some small plane of Cessna type.
See here:

http://www.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=http://www.condorjourneys-adventures.com/images/venezuela_sima_map.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.condorjourneys-adventures.com/venezuela_sarisarinama.asp&h=270&w=299&sz=23&tbnid=zJqrcPIpjAMYwM:&tbnh=105&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsarisarinama&hl=fr&usg=__Zc1BSNFSQlulJEfpvqX4oo4qvBM=&ei=NsAETPc6kb3iBuKH-MsO&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=2&ct=image&ved=0CB4Q9QEwAQ

Should you wish a less expensive trip, foresee a
17 days excursion and a very hard walking through jungle:

http://www.abenteuer-venezuela.de/eng/Sarisarinama%20Expedition%20eng.htm

But then you must be in an excellent health shape.
In another expedition (2004), for having walked
uphills through such a jungle from an improvised
camp on the rio Churun tributary to rio Carrao,
up to the bottom of the Salto Angel (Angel Falls
980 m high), I can just say such a walk it is
more than hard but really rewarding and truly
fascinating (especially when you eventually
refresh under the highest natural shower in the world!)

4) This being, how the sinkholes work ?
Look at this rather complete link, that includes,
among others, the 2007 Guatemala sinkhole and the
Sarisarinama geological Karstic-type collapse:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/sinkhole.htm/printable

5) I agree with Werned Schroer that the pics
showing the sinkhole in Guatemala City could be
those recorded in Feb 23, 2007.
See the above link but also a few pics in the
link below, showing the 5-6 most famous sinkholes
recorded worldwide, including....Sarisarinama

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/offbeat-news/5-giant-holes-devoured-everything-around-them/1196

Compare the outline of the Guatemala sinkhole
that occurred in 2007 with that shown on the pic
related to the last May 31 hurricane in the same city (preceding posts).
Almost perfect matching!

6) To complete this issue it is also worth
looking at the "7 amazing circular geological
oddities in the world" (of all kind, natural,
artificial, even of meteoritic origin). For "the
beauty of art" or to complete your general geoinformation...

http://travel.spotcoolstuff.com/united-states/arizona

Have fun!

Zelimir