[meteorite-list] Gebel Kamil webpage

From: Regine Petersen <fips_bruno_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 00:55:30 +0000 (GMT)

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to meteorites but I do know a bit more about photographs. Quite a couple of times I have looked at different images of the same meteorite and thought at first glance they were different specimens.

The image in the rocky area might be an image of how the meteorite was originally found, then the rocks might have been moved and the area cleaned up including the sand on top of the rock. A bit of grooming to make it pretty for the photo perhaps.

If you turn the rocky image 90 degree anti-clock wise and the clean one 90 degree clock-wise it seems to be likely the same rock, the first one being shot from above (see GPS facing the viewer and the overall angle now looking much more appropriate). If you then carefully study the surface structure and keep in mind the angle difference it seems quite likely to be the same individual.

Good night everyone,

Regine