[meteorite-list] Scientist Warns Massive Asteroid Could Hit Earth in 2182

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 21:17:53 -0500

List, Greg, Richard,

The study Fox News is citing may be a new
one or it may be this one from a year ago,
(one author of which is Sansaturio), which
is downloadable at:
http://arxiv.org/abs/0901.3631

101955 1999 RQ36 has a poorly determined
composition and shape. It has been frequently
considered for an asteroidal mission (including
Osiris) as it is very easy to reach (low delta-v).
We could go kick its tires...

As of observations through 2006, the odds of
a 2182 impact are rated at 3570-to-1:
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/a101955.html

While I am no defender of Fox News, please note
that somebody, presumably Sansaturio, got
FOX NEWS of all people, to not only mention
but correctly define the Yarkovski Effect!

The end of the world may indeed be near...

Usually a change in odds means only that the
ellipse of uncertainty has necessarily become
larger. Paradoxically, while the odds of an impact
go up, so does the uncertainty of any particular
outcome.

It's not a party we'd want to miss the invitation
to, as the impact energy is 2700 Megatons. As for
waiting until the probability is 100%, Richard, you
have to realize that to many people that means
waiting until it's a week away. That's not the
message we want to send, is it? (Keep that
funding coming.)

NASA put 1999 RQ36 on the Sentry Risk page
at #2, trailing long time favorite 1950DA: "The
second object, (101955) 1999 RQ36, currently
has non-zero impact probabilities on numerous
occasions during the years after 2165. This is
analyzed in a paper published by Milani et al.
(Icarus, Vol. 203, pp. 460-471, 2009), which is
available as here..." But that link is broken.

Maybe it's at No. 2 with a bullet...

As for cumulative probabilities, nothing in
this kind of orbit persists for more than a few
million years, maybe ten million years, so the
probability that it hits either the planet whose
orbit it crosses or, less likely, an object in a
similar orbit is, in the long term, always 100%.

We, however, are just going to hope that the
folks up in 2150 have a better handle on it
than we do, aren't we? (I include an exception
to this last crack for Rob Matson and you,
of course.)

As for me, much as I'd like to, I do not think
it's time to dig out that old DVD of "Armageddon"
or order enough beer for the Impact Party.

Sterling K. Webb