[meteorite-list] Meteorite 20 Questions - Answer and Share if youDare. :)

From: Arlene Schlazer <piebear_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:29:22 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Galactic Stone & Ironworks" <meteoritemike at gmail.com>
To: "Meteorite List" <meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 11:29 AM
Subject: [meteorite-list] Meteorite 20 Questions - Answer and Share if
youDare. :)

> 1) When did you start collecting? (how long ago)
Approximately 6 years ago

> 2) What first interested you about meteorites?
The fact that the etch pattern on a Gibeon meteorite formed in the vacuum of
space over a period of 4.2 billion years--fascinating!

 3) What was your first meteorite purchase, and from whom?
A slice of Gibeon from someone named George K. at a little rock store in the
Fantastic Swap Meet in Las Vegas! He also sold me little pieces of Esquel
and Imilac and then the rest is history.

 4) How many meteorites or localities do you currently have in your
collection? About 205. Never thought about figuring the number localities.

 5) If you had to know for insurance purposes, what do you value your
 entire collection at? - in dollars - ballpark figure OK, or just say
 "none of your business". A lot! LOL

 6) What is your favorite meteorite and why? Fukang translucent slice

 7) Have you ever found a meteorite in the field? No

 8) Did you ever get the deal of a lifetime on a meteorite? If so, what was
it? Etched Glorieta killer slice from the main mass

 9) Did you ever go through the ordeal of a lifetime to obtain a
 meteorite? If so, please explain. Yes, perpetually working to pay the
next one off!!

 10) Have you ever consumed meteoritic material? (If so, how or under
 what circumstances?) Not that I know of unless a sniff of Murchison went up
my nose!

 11) Does your spouse share your meteorite passion, is ambivalent
 towards it, or resents it? He shares the results of my collecting. He
likes to show it off and explain everything when guests come over.

 12) Have you ever let a bill go unpaid or late to buy a meteorite? No but
I've sacrificed a lot to get what I want!

 13) A perfectly oriented, fully crusted, baseball-sized, lunar
 meteorite crashes through your roof and lands in your lap while you
 are reading this. It's the most gorgeous aesthetically-superior
 specimen you have ever seen - like Lafayette, but better. It legally
 belongs to you. What do you do with it? Have it classified and share
what's necessary for science, and the rest would be center showcase.

 14) Statistics have caught up with someone. Anne Hodges will no
 longer be the only documented person to be struck by a falling
 meteorite. Assuming the next person struck could be anyone and you
 could pick that person, who would it be? (silly answers only, nothing
 mean or political) N/A

 15) You are awarded the honor of selecting one specimen to keep from
 any meteorite collection in the world. What would it be? Slice of
Edmunton, Kentucky

 16) Have you ever sold or donated your entire collection, and then had
 to rebuild it? No

 17) Summarize what you think about tektites in one sentence. Only
interested in Moldavite and LDG both of which are beautiful.

 18) Which do you prefer - thin sections, whole specimens, slices, or
endcuts? Everything but thin sections....havn't ventured there yet.

 19) Do you collect meteorwrongs? No
 20) Have you ever dropped a tiny crumb of a rare meteorite and lost it? No

 http://www.facebook.com/galacticstone