[meteorite-list] Slow Classifications

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 23:07:08 -0400

Hi Greg,

It's not instant gratification I want, I am just curious about these
falls and want to know more about them. Cartersville fell over a year
ago. And it's been over 6 months since Lorton. I understand that
Lorton is tied up legally, so it's not available for analysis. It's
been 3 months since Wisconsin and there is material in the hands of
those who can classify it. I admit that I am inexperienced with the
classification part of meteorites, but how long does it take to make a
thin section and then look at it? I would think that the scientists
would be more eager than I to know the types, so I would imagine that
it's not the scientist's fault if the classification is slow. In the
case of Lorton, it's obviously legal red tape. But what about
Cartersville, Kosice and Wisconsin? I just think it's a bit weird and
inconsistent - we saw a classification for Ash Creek within a week of
the fall. So, apparently Ash Creek was deemed important enough for an
expedited classification. Why is Wisconsin and others so different?
Or, what was different about Ash Creek?

I'm a patient guy, but I am also a curious one and I'd wondering why
some falls get classified quick and others languish for years.

Best regards,

MikeG

PS - maybe that Galapagos turtle is doing the classifications. ;)