[meteorite-list] More on meteorite craters

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 12:42:38 -0400

Hi Chris and List,

I read somewhere that some scientists think the Chicxulub impactor was
a carbonaceous chondrite. I don't recall what their evidence was to
support this, but if it's true, such an impactor wouldn't have
survived for very long - especially in a cataclysmic event because the
after-effects are so intense and devastating. I would imagine that
the same would hold true for any large ancient crater like Chicxulub,
Sudbury, or Vredefort. The best we can hope for is some kind of
remnant impactite, shattercone, etc.

Here is a list, sorted by name, of the known impact craters -

http://www.unb.ca/passc/ImpactDatabase/CINameSort2.htm

I have photos of several impactites from these structures that are
shown in my EoM collection here -
http://www.encyclopedia-of-meteorites.com/collection.aspx?id=1564

Best regards,

MikeG