[meteorite-list] Micrographs of NWA 5363 Brachinite

From: Starsinthedirt at aol.com <Starsinthedirt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 17:06:18 EDT

Hi List, I recently added some high magnification incident light
micrographs of NWA 5363 to my micrograph gallery hosted by Meteorite
Times/Meteorite Exchange.

The sample was supplied to me by Carl Esparza. We are having some thin
sections made but for now I polished a couple thick samples to a level of
1/4 micron and examined them in incident cross polarized light on an aus Jena
Neophot.

For those not familiar with incident light images, this is reflected
light. No thin section is required. The technique does not produce the vivid
colors of transmitted light Xpol. What is cool is, aside from some
"opalescence" in highly translucent spots, the color is correct and just the way it
actually looks up close. All opaque features are visible and at times,
with stunning structures that would not be visible in standard Xpol images.

NWA 5363 is classified as a Brachinite by Dr. Jambon. This is the one
that you have likely heard about. Dr. Jambon emailed this list and said it is
paired to NWA 5400. I am sure some people would like to see a side by
side comparison, that is not what I have done. I have never personally seen a
sample of NWA 5400 and even if I had one of each, my opinion would not be
relevant!

This is in no way intended as a way for me to join in to the debate that
occurred on this list a couple weeks ago. This is only an invitation for
you to look at some very cool NWA 5363 micrographs. I am sure you will not
be disappointed and will find it worth your time.

The link is at
http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/articles/nwa-5363/

If that link fails, go to my gallery and select NWA 5363 from the menu to
the left.
http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/meteorites-alpha_frame.htm

Thanks for looking, Tom Phillips