[meteorite-list] Answers - Contest #2 - Free Rare Earth Magnets and Meteorite

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:46:36 -0400

Hi List!

I received a TON of replies to this latest contest and nobody has
guessed more than one correctly. But, I may have been too vague in my
clues and it might be impossible to reasonably guess the correct
meteorites. My first contest was solved quickly and this second one
might never be solved, so I am going to post the answers.

Question #1 - what H4 chondrite was accidentally found while searching
for Libyan Desert Glass?

Answer - Abu Moharek. As Jason Utas pointed out, this question was
fairly vague and many meteorites could qualify as the correct answer.
I selected Abu Moharek based on the write-up in Grady's CoM which said
the meteorite was found while searching for LDG.

Question #2 - This meteorite is one of the rarest types and hails from
a nation with only a handful of meteorite finds/falls. It was
considered similar to an unusual Australian meteorite. Name this
meteorite.

Answer - Rumuruti, which fell in Kenya. One of only four meteorites
from Kenya. Rumuruti was considered similar to the Carlisle Lakes
R3.8 meteorite which was found in Australia in 1977.

Question #3 - Which tiny L6 chondrite has a connection with one of
the great personalities of meteoritics? If not for this connection,
this very small and obscure OC would be without trivia value.

Answer - Lost Lake. This tiny L6 chondrite, found by Nininger, weighs
a mere 11 grams. This question may have been vague as well. I'm not
sure, but it is possible that Nininger found more than one small/tiny
L6.

Bonus Question - This "stubborn" meteorite also has a connection to
one of the great minds of meteoritics. What meteorite is it?

Answer - El Burro. It is an iron IIAB found in Mexico by Nininger in
1939. This one was simply a play on words. El Burro is Spanish for
an animal with a reputation for stubborn behavior.

I want to thank everyone who took the time to cipher out this contest.
 Next time, I will try to find a suitable middle-ground between
questions that are too easy and ones that are impossibly vague.

Best regards,

MikeG