[meteorite-list] Gebel Kamil iron is official now - 1.6 metric tons!?!?

From: Alexander Seidel <gsac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 21:54:25 +0200

With an info like this - "A total of about 1600 kg of iron meteorite shrapnel (thousands of pieces), ranging in mass from < 1 to 35,000 g, plus a single 83 kg individual completely covered with well developed regmaglypts, was found in and around the 45 m diameter Kamil impact crater by an Italian-Egyptian geophysical team in February 2009 and February 2010" - shouldn?t we be a bit more patient and careful at this very early point after the discovery and quite early publication? I expect much more clearness at the taxonomic horizon once e.g. parts of that 83 kg individual or others will have been analyzed one of these days. And with a crater *THAT* large much more material may surface and be recovered as time goes by, and analysis may well be refined to some definite point. Just a matter of time and patience, right...??

Alex
Berlin/Germany

-------- Original-Nachricht --------