[meteorite-list] How Long from Asteroid to Meteorite?

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 21:59:13 -0500

Eric, List, all,

> Asteroids are traveling at super high velocity when they impact...

The most common collision in a group of objects with similar
orbits is with two objects with similar orbits. Oh, yes, in the
movies it's always something that comes racing out of far
nowhere and -- Smack! But in the real world, it's more like
jostling each other.

I mean, the biggest threat to Earth would be something in
an orbit similar to our own, right? We want our orbit to
ourselves!. So it is for asteroids. What is the most likely
speed of that kind of collision? It's the same speed that
it would take to go from asteroid to asteroid.

Now, in SciFi stories, folks are always hopping from one
asteroid to another in dinky little jumper spaceships, but
in fact most transfer orbits between asteroids require a
delta-vee of 4000 m/sec to 5000 m/sec. If you calculate
Hohmann orbits between Ceres and Vesta, Pallas and Vesta,
Pallas and Ceres, they all fall in that range.

That means it's twice as hard as taking off from the Moon
(or landing on the Moon) or about half the effort of getting to
low Earth orbit. If one asteroid wanders into the path of
another or intersects its orbit when it's there, the impact
velocities between them could be as low as a few thousand
meters per second or as high as six to eight thousand
meters per second, depending on the specifics of the
encounter.

On the other hand, here at the bottom of a deep gravity
well, even a standstill object is going to pick up 11,200
meters per second falling in, plus any encounter velocity
it might have started with. In other words, we get whacked
but good with an average encounter speed of 20,000+
meters per second

So oddly enough, most asteroidal collisions are gentler
than collisions with the Earth. They're more than enough
to do real damage of course, including disrupting whole
bodies, but that's because asteroids are weaker (except
for solid irons).

As for the speed of fragments "blown off" by a collision,
they depart at speeds less than the collision speed that
spawned them. Statistically, at about collision speed times
the square root of two, for an average.

There is a small chance for more energetic collisions. That's
when one object has an odd orbit: high eccentricity orbits
and high angle collisions, retrograde versus prograde, all
sorts of odd things, but the point is that we call'em "odd"
because they're infrequent when compared to ALL collisions.

Fragments generated at the very inner edge of the asteroid
zone can get here in 50,000 to 80,000 years, stuff from the
main belt in a few to ten million years, stuff from the outer
asteroid zone (type D and P) much longer. But time is even
longer than space is big...

So they tell me.

Sterling K. Webb