[meteorite-list] Rosetta Flyby of Asteroid 21 Lutetia

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 03:23:58 -0700 (MST)

Hi Sterling:

But remember, that the M classification is based on is visible spectrum.
Overall, it would have to have a relatively featureless visible spectrum
that is redder than yur "typical" C-class asteroid.

However, I think that there here been more detailed observations that show
that there may be C-type patches on its surface. So, we may be looking at
an M asteroid with carbonaceous patches on its surface from impacts. While
I do not have access to the paper, I think that these observations are not
consistent with the opposite: a carbonaceous surface with impact features
that expose the metallic core of the asteroid.

Guess we will know soon. I am still concerned with the high density. Even
Vesta is only 3.5 grams/cc.

Larry

> Hi, All,
>
> If I was foolish enough to look into my crystal
> ball and make predictions (I am), I would say
> that there is a likelihood of Lutetia having a
> very large crater "on" it.
>
> Vesta has such a crater, the Great South Polar
> Crater, 480 km across, or nearly 80% of Vesta's
> diameter!
>
> Why would I think that? Well, that 85-89 degree
> axial tilt would require, by today's orthodoxy, a
> major impact. Laying a 100-kilometer body over
> on its side to rotate like a fallen top is not a small
> job.
>
> Such an impact would surely leave a crater at least
> as large as Mimas "Death Star" crater and perhaps
> as relatively large as Vesta's Polar Giant. Of course,
> because of the fast fly-by, we have only a 50%-50%
> chance of seeing it at all!
>
> The likelihood of such a giant crater also implies
> something else about Lutetia. It's a strong body. It
> would have to be to survive a turn-over impact. It
> can't possibly be a porous, friable, crumbly body
> (like a carbonaceous). To withstand the transfer of
> that much axial torque changing force, I think it
> would have to be the metallic object that its density
> suggests that it is.
>
> So, if it's a metallic object, why the hydrates and the
> silicates on the surface? Well, if the impact that tilted
> the axis was slow enough, Lutetia would end up tilted
> but capturing much of the impactor's material.
>
> If the impactor was weak and Lutetia was strong, the
> tilty impact slow, wouldn't Lutetia be covered with
> perhaps a miles-thick layer of regolith from the disrupted
> impactor?
>
> An iron heart under carbonaceous cover? If Rosetta
> could measure Lutetia's moment of inertia we'd know!
>

> Sterling K. Webb

>>> from this preparatory work, that Lutetia rotates with a period close
>>> 8.17 hours was of great help in planning the scientific measurements