[meteorite-list] [Fwd: Re: USB 2.0 mp Digital Camera]

From: Bob WALKER <qwalkra_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 09:40:57 +1000 (EST)

Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] USB 2.0 mp Digital Camera
From: "Bob WALKER" <qwalkra at mailbox.ezadsl.net.au>
Date: Wed, July 7, 2010 9:02 am
To: cynapse at charter.net
Cc: meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com

Darren

I fear you have confirmed what others and I may have thought...

The ebay sale of the 1.3 mp camera infers a digital polarized microscope -
however this appears to be a polarize fuction to reduce ambient glare
rather than true xpol light as your photos tend to confirm ?

I worry just how many buyers have been misled if not gypped by this
seemingly misleading sales title

Most listoids would agree that whilst it is wonderful to view
thin-sections in plane polarised light... the outcome we ultimately seek
is to see the vivid colours and patterns we so much enjoy that are only
viewable under true cross polarized light

Perhaps we should address this discussion to other listoids who may be
able to suggest the most cost effective solution to take pictures under
true xpol light but I fear there is no quick and easy elegant and
inexpensive solution ???

I do have a vague memory that Michael Blood had a cost-effective solution
for sale but then again my memory can betray me

Best
Bob WALKER
http://www.qmig.net