[meteorite-list] Tucson 2010, Parties, "Meteorite Men" Screenings, News, etc.

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:37:06 -0700

Dear Listees:

Greetings from rainy Tucson. The good news: the rain is expected to
move out tonight or tomorrow, and we've ordered nice weather for you.

Some of the early birds are already set up at the InnSuites (now Hotel
Tucson City Center). My fabulous showroom partner, Anne Black, is
arriving tonight, and we'll be moving into our suite tomorrow. We'll
be open for business on Saturday morning and every day through
February 13.

Anne is the exclusive show vendor for the remarkable Almahata Sitta
meteorite (Asteroid 2008 TC3), discovered by List member Richard
Kowalski. She will also be offering the world's largest private thin
section collection, along with her usual stellar selection of rare and
historic meteorites. She will also be unveiling Dr. Alan Carion's new
meteorite book, which she translated.

Aerolite will be offering several brand new meteorites, including a
new discovery from Kansas, polished slices of a new LL3.8 with
gorgeous chondrules and two lithologies, a new CV3, AAA-grade Sikhote-
Alins, superb American Meteorite Lab and Oscar Monnig specimens, all
with original labels, large polished Brenham slices, and some top-
notch pieces from my great friend Matt Morgan, including Leedy,
Ensisheim, and Claxton. We also have tons of swag: SWAT-style black
Aerolite Meteorites ball caps, three different meteorite t-shirts, an
amazing collection of rare books including Buchwald and Nininger, fine
art meteorite prints by Suzanne Morrison, unique meteorite jewelry by
Lisa Marie Morrison, a rockin' new Meteorite Men "tour" t-shirt, and
too much more to list here. Anne and I are just hoping that everything
will even fit in the room : )

Room details:

http://www.aerolite.org/events/tucson/tucson-meteorite-dealer.htm

And nightlife too!

You are all warmly invited to join us for free "Meteorite Men"
screenings on Wednesday, Feb. 3, and Wednesday Feb. 10 at Tucson's
coolest new venue, Sky Bar:

http://meteoritemen.com/events/meteorite-men-premiere.htm

There is live music at 6 pm, completely great New York-style pizza, a
full bar, smoking patio, and "Meteorite Men" in high definition on
three GIANT widescreen TVs at 7 pm sharp. By a lovely twist of fate,
our "Tucson Ring Mystery" airs on the 3rd, and the "Gold Basin
Adventure" on the 10th, so both our Arizona episodes will premiere
during the Tucson show. Couldn't have planned it better if we tried.
At the first two screenings our meteorite friends turned out in force
to watch the show, including Bob Haag, Dr. Larry and Nancy Lebofsky,
Mike Farmer, Jim Strope, Moritz Karl, Erich Haiderer, Mike Jensen,
Twink Monrad, Dr. Dolores and Rik Hill, Maria Haas, Leigh Anne Delray,
Suzanne and Lisa Morrison, our great Russian pals Dima and Sergei and
many others. Thanks! And please come back next week.

The Eleventh Annual Birthday Bash and Harvey Awards will take place at
the same venue on Friday, Feb. 5, at 7 pm, and we'd like to thank Tony
Vaccaro and Sky Bar for working so closely with us and for being such
terrific hosts. This new astronomy-themed nightclub is definitely our
best party venue ever, and I know you're going to enjoy the place, not
to mention the beautiful fire dancers : ) Seriously. Our "Meteorite
Men" field producer Sonya Bourn is flying in specially for the party.
She is an amazing person, definitely worth meeting, and without her
there would have been no TV series, plus several of us would probably
have expired on the road : ) Please stop by Room 230 at the
InnSuites any time for a map and directions. Sky Bar is about a five-
minute drive from the InnSuites, on Tucson's stylin' Fourth Avenue.
All are welcome.

On Saturday afternoon, Feb. 6 we will have a book signing event in our
room, with the brilliant Chris Cokinos -- author of my favorite
meteorite book: "The Fallen Sky." Chris is a charming and charismatic
speaker, and if you're in town, please come along, say hi, and support
one of the top writers in our field.

Paul and Jim at Meteorite.com have, as always, provided us with a
comprehensive dealer list, with room locations and event news. If you
are visiting Tucson for the show, this is THE indispensable resource.
Check it out:

http://www.meteorite-times.com/tucson/

Another must is the Arizona Meteorite Exhibition, organized by our
friend and colleague, Dr. Dolores Hill. Details on the Meteorite-
Times.com website, but please note this event is one night only, this
coming Saturday, January 30.

Our Tucson gem show site has hotel recommendations, a nightlife guide,
day trip suggestions (like you have time for that!) and more:

http://www.tucsongemandmineralshows.net

While you're in town please pick up your free copy of the "Tucson E-
Guide." This is the BEST Tucson showguide and, once again, the
Morrison sisters and I are delighted to have been able to contribute
articles and photos for this year's book:

http://www.tucsongemandmineralshows.net/tucson-ez-guide.htm

Well, that's all the news that fits. 2010 is the year we made contact.
Thanks Arthur C. Clarke : ) and see you here soon.

Cheers and all the best from the Meteorite Capital of the World,

Geoff N.

www.aerolite.org
www.meteoritemen.com
http://science.discovery.com/tv/meteorite-men/