[meteorite-list] Regmaglypts

From: Steve Dunklee <steve.dunklee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 01:12:00 -0800 (PST)

so you are meaning bubbles of olivine and metal , or chondrules which are bubbles of solid material, not bubbles of gasses like most people think bubbles are? a good example might be an armored chondrule where you have a heavier ring of metal surrounding silicate lighter material on the inside. instead of a thin layer of soap with gasses on the inside? at temperatures high enough to make the silicates a gas and metal a liquid, the cooling of the metallic bubbles creates chondrules. the same way trapped gasses in ice create spherical bubbles of gasses. you have metals or other material with a higher melting point acting as the thin soap skin of the bubble. and lighter materials cooling from a gas to a solid? or with chondrites the surface tension of the molten material creates spheres or chondrules which could also be described as bubbles. slag would be a good example! as the oxide metal and sulphides cool it creates lots of vesicles of spherical
 gasses. in space with no gasses the vesicles would become a spherical solid upon cooling.
 take this with a grain of salt i am only guessing here!
Steve Dunklee