[meteorite-list] Iron Slices Needed for Study

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 23:24:21 -0800

Hello All,
I'm in need of slices of at least a few iron meteorites - Canyon
Diablo, Campo del Cielo, Gibeon, Chinga, Dronino, Seymchan,
Sikhote-Alin - pretty much any iron that's available.
I'm looking for specimens out of which a 2-inch circle can be cut (we
can do that ourselves but the slice needs to be large enough to
accommodate a clean 2-inch circular cut out of it), and they should be
a minimum of 2-3 mm thick, but thicker slices would be fine as well.
They don't need to be well-finished, polished, or etched.
This isn't for me - the physics department is looking for some
specimens for research on conductors, and since much of the research
in the area in which we're working currently relies on experimental
physics, this could well increase our understanding of exchange bias
fields with thin films. This is a project that's looking to
revolutionize energy-use in small-scale electronics, and it's already
succeeded - to an extent.
In light of the fact that I'm not looking for finished slices, I'd
hope to be able to acquire some for a reasonable amount, but they've
told me that they're willing to buy the specimens directly; I'm just
the in-between guy.
If you have any slices (preferably on the cheap) that fit these
criteria, please get back to me.
Thanks,
Jason