[meteorite-list] Dust, and millions and millions of years

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:26:24 -0700

It hasn't had much impact. Assuming that the Earth has accumulated 50,000
tons per year, every year for 4.5 billion years, the accumulated mass is
less than a billionth of the Earth's total mass.

BTW, I don't think we've lost much oxygen to outgassing. Oxygen is highly
reactive, and its concentration in the atmosphere depends on a combination
of biological and geological processes. It can be reduced (volumetrically,
not chemically!) in the atmosphere without being lost to space.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com