[meteorite-list] Regmaglypts

From: abudka at nycap.rr.com <abudka_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 21:45:28 +0000

After seeing the images with ?A Riot of Over 300 Regmaglypts!? I am prompted to share with Listees my thoughts on the term ?regmaglypt.?

Buchwald (1) calls regmaglypts ?a specific hallmark of an iron meteorite,? a term introduced by Berwerth in 1909. Also known as ?thumb prints,? Buchwald goes on to state:

?Regmaglypts are thumb-like pits carved into the surfaces by turbulent supersonic airstreams during the atmospheric flight.?

I beg to differ and offer another interpretation, based on my theory (2) that nickel-irons and stony-irons are cast materials solidified under microgravity conditions. This means that surface energy dominates in the liquid state and during solidification until the mass is solid.

Observation of nickel-iron meteorite surface features commonly called regmaglypts indicates that these features can be separated into two different phenomena: flow lines and thumb prints.

Flow lines are surface features related to ablation melting during passage through the Earth?s atmosphere.

Thumb prints have 2 components: (a) angular, linear regions and (b) indentations. I propose that each was generated by a different mechanism.

(a) Angular, linear boundaries: Observe a mass of soap bubbles, a system that tries to minimize surface energy. Interior bubbles will have polyhedral shapes, producing linear boundaries between bubbles. (3, 4).

(b) Indentations: Metals shrink on cooling.

What do YOU think?!

Phyllis Budka