[meteorite-list] Dumb Questions About Meteors & Meteorites

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:00:04 EST

>>If this is the continued incandescence why is the "trail" not straight?
Was the meteoroid still "glowing" hot thereby producing a visible light
bright enough to be picked up by the camera?<<

In that area, the meteor probably wasn't bright enuf, for long enuf to be
exposed in your camera. The lingering ionized train will have a longer time
for exposure and show up without a meteor trails apparent presence. Your
crooked trail appears to me to be the beginning of the ionized train
distorting with the high altitude winds. As the train twists and turns, brighter
spots presents itself for exposure...thus appearing crooked. This is
something I had expected to see in Hankeys photograph, but don't.
GeoZay