[meteorite-list] Terminal Velocity vs Cosmic "Flaming" Velocity

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:27:29 -0800

Hi Everyone,

One thing I noticed about this Lorton meteorite fall, and perhaps
something that some may not have, or failed to mention for some reason
or another is a neat little factoid that is rather "good" for the
meteorite world knowledge base when describing the velocity of
meteorites as they impact Earth.

"...A scientist at the Smithsonian confirmed that it was a meteorite
that was probably traveling about 220 m.p.h. when it hit the roof of the
doctors? office, the WaPo said..."

Now I know this is a simple quote in the newspaper (website), but this
is a good thing for meteorites in general because other papers and
websites have picked up on this and have reported correctly that the
meteorite was not "flaming" when it impacted! Perhaps more people will
realize this when reading all the articles and blog posts that have been
circulating the internet.

Meteorites aren't flaming when they hit the ground.

I did read however in one article by a major newspaper that stated the
Lorton meteorite was "smoldering". Don't remember where though. Perhaps
a misquote, or misinterpretation?

Regards,
Eric Wichman
Meteorites USA