[meteorite-list] Meteorite word "Shrapnel"

From: Arizona Keith <arizonakeith_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 08:58:46 -0700

Hello List

I told some people at the Tucson Show this weekend, the root origin the word
Shrapnel, some didn't believe me so I'm post this.

Fragments from exploding air busting artillery shell is call shrapnel, this
is name after English artillery Lieutenant General Henry Shrapnel who
invented the antipersonnel projectile first used 1784, and adopted by the
British army in 1803.
Shrapnel projectiles contained small metal shot with a explosive charge to
scatter the shot as well as the shell casing, he improved it this many
times, it was called the shrapnel effect.
I found some interesting links.

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blshrapnel.htm

http://www.shrapnell.co.uk/page11.html

Thanks for your time.