[meteorite-list] Snow in Arizona

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 17:52:37 -0800 (PST)

Mike farmer suggested I mention to those coming to Arizona in the next week or so, that during this week, heavy snowfalls are predicted in a number of areas. Higher elevations will see accumulations, in some locations significant amounts. I didn't see the reports today but he said that there may be several feet around the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff and on top of Mt. Lemmon. It is supposed to start snowing up there tomorrow with the chance of the snow fall continuing every day until Saturday!

This warning certainly is not intended to discourage anyone from visiting this great state, or taking the tour of Mt. Lemmon, but to make you aware of potential conditions around the state.

The county is usually great at clearing and reopening Catalina Highway, the only road up to the top of Mt. Lemmon in the winter, so I wouldn't worry about your not being able to tour the site. However, be aware that even if it is sunny and 70 degrees F (21C) in town, is can be cloudy, windy and in the 30s (<10C) at the telescopes.

Of course, this snow event is this week and the show doesn't start until two weeks from now, but it wouldn't hurt to be aware of the changing weather and pack accordingly.

--
Richard Kowalski
http://fullmoonphotography.net