[meteorite-list] Strewnfield or Strewn Field?

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:44:15 +0100

Yes Chris, I fully agree with you regarding the
falling out of hyphenated words.

Another such example is "portmanteau" you are using here in your post.
This word derives from the French "porte-manteau"
(laterally "coat (and hat) rack") that is now
currently written (yes, even in French) "portemanteau".
But English still went a step forward by omitting the "e".
And now in dictionary (e.g. Harrap's Shorter) or
on "i-Google", you can find that English
"portmanteau" translates into French
"portemanteau", word that has now 2 different
meanings in English ("coat rack" and "hybrid word").

Another such example that puzzled me at the time
was "South-East", written as such on official
maps showing "South-East Alaska" areas.
However, when in the area, i noted everywhere
(streets, posts stuck on walls...) "Southeast".

Usage to which I am quite favorable.

BTW: in the "Harraps", "strewnfield" does not exist.
But now, here in France, since meteorites became
popular, the English word "strewnfield" (never
"strewn field") is more and more used as....a (bastard) French word!
(the correct French name is still "ellipse de
chute", literally ""fall ellipse").

Allmybest,

Zelimir