[meteorite-list] Small Asteroid 2010 AL30 Will Fly Past TheEarth

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 01:14:29 -0600

Just to make things even more confusing,
the IAU itself has approved the use of the
term "meteor" in a dual sense to include the
physical body itself, thus equating "meteoroid"
with "meteor."

Say what?

Bob Verrish wrote an article about it:
http://meteorite-recovery.tripod.com/2008/mar08.htm

I quote the IAU:

Definition of terms by the IAU Commission 22, 1961.

A. meteor: in particular, the light phenomenon which results
from the entry into the Earth's atmosphere of a solid particle
from space; more generally, as a noun or an adjective, ANY
PHYSICAL OBJECT or phenomenon associated with such
an event.

B. meteoroid: a solid object moving in interplanetary space,
of a size considerably smaller than an asteroid and considerably
larger than an atom or molecule.

C. meteorite: any object defined under B which has reached
the surface of the Earth without being completely vaporized.

D. meteoric: the adjectival form pertaining to definitions A and B.

E. meteoritic: the adjectival form pertaining to definition C.

F. fireball: a bright meteor with luminosity which equals or
exceeds that of the brightest planets.

G. micrometeorite: a very small meteorite or meteoritic particle
with a diameter in general less than a millimeter.

Now, is everything perfectly clear?

I didn't think so...

Sterling K. Webb