[meteorite-list] Small Asteroid 2010 AL30 Will Fly Past TheEarth

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 00:38:32 -0600

The only objects I know of that are moving
faster than the local escape velocity of the
solar system (and hence must be from outside
our solar system) are a small percentage of
the "meteoroids" detected by AMOR radar
systems. But they're so small they're usually
referred to as "dust" or "micrometeoroids,"
although the largest particles are at about
100 microns and might be called small
meteoroids by some.

About 25% of the hypervelocity dust particles
detected by radar are centered on beta Pictoris,
a nearby star with a huge protoplanetary (?)
dust disc, and it is reasonably assumed they
came from there.

This demonstrates that there is an ongoing transfer
of small amounts of fine, dusty material between
different stellar systems, a notion fraught with
possibilities...

Sterling K. Webb