[meteorite-list] Small Asteroid 2010 AL30 Will Fly Past TheEarth

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 21:36:50 -0600

Hi, Melanie and List,

What defines a "meteoroid" is that some portion of
it survives entry into the Earth's atmosphere and
ends up on the surface of the Earth as a "meteorite."

So, we don't know it's a "meteoroid" until after the
whole adventure is over and done with. We can't say
a rock is a "meteoroid" while it's still in space because
we don't know the outcome yet.

On the other hand, any rock that could intersect the
Earth (or be deflected to do so) is a potential "meteoroid."
Size is not the criteria. A small asteroid (like the iron
that made Meteor Crater) is a "meteoroid" because of
all those Canyon Diablos. Whatever hit Tunguska is
NOT a "meteoroid" because nobody ever found a piece
of it.

2010 AL30 could be a "meteoroid" if it would hit and
leave a piece to be recovered. Just be very patient and
live a long time... (Always a good idea anyway.)

Sterling K. Webb