[meteorite-list] Death Star Story - Link corrected

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 02:57:47 -0600

Dear Count, and Listoids,

Another story:
http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-01/star-verge-supernova-could-threaten-life-earth

And another:
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/T_Pyxidis_Soon_To_Be_A_Type_Ia_Supernova_999.html

And another:
http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=8944

All taken from the same press release, you will note.

And all equally in error about The End Of All Life As
We Know It. It's a math mistake: "However, Dr. Sion's
calculations were challenged by Prof. Alex Fillipenko
who said that Sion had possibly miscalculated the
damage that could be caused by a T Pyxidis supernova.
He had used data for a far more deadly gamma-ray burst
(GRB) exploding 3,260 light-years from Earth, not a
supernova, and T Pyxidis certainly isn't expected to
produce a GRB. According to an another expert,
"A supernova would have to be 10 times closer [to Earth]
to do the damage described."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T_Pyxidis

Information about nearby supernovas of the recent past:
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2003/06jan_bubble.htm

The truth is a supernova would be disastrous at 25 light
years away (not 3260). 50 light years away and it would
cause some damage, although it's hard to say how much.
100 light years away and it would be the action movie of
all time but you might worry that you sat too near to the
screen. There are two kinds (strengths) of supernovas. For
the Big One, I'd want to sit further away than the 300 Light
Year Line

But 3260 light years? Fergettabouttit!

Now, I can go to bed without worrying about a darn
Supernova...

It's always something.

Sterling K. Webb