[meteorite-list] Question Regarding Lunar's

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 14:30:00 -0500

Greg,
Interesting observation.
Recently, I asked the same question to Randy Korotev. As I recall he said it was Earth oxidation.
I then looked at all of the pictures on his web site and noticed that the only ones he shows with this red
 color are the Oman examples. Most of them are listed as Dhofar but Oman also includes your example in
question; shisr161 .
see pics at link;
http://meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/moon_meteorites_list_alumina.htm

So, All do respect to Randy, to add to your question; why do only Oman lunar's have the red color inside. Because in some of them the red is only very deep inside
and not near the original crustal area. You would think if it was weathering on Earth, it would be near the surface area and not only deep inside as clearly is the case in some of the pics. ? Many Meteorites from other finds do have the red oxidation on the crust like Millbillillie but not exclusively on just in interior areas like the Oman clan. So , again why is that?
Thanks Carl
--
Carl or Debbie Esparza
Meteoritemax