[meteorite-list] Hole in Red Rock Lounge Roof Still aMystery?????

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 08:40:02 -0700

> a meteorite falling over Colorado on the plane of the ecliptic
> at 11:35 pm would have been a near verticle fall only taking
> about 4 to 5 seconds from the time it entered earths
> atmosphere till it impacted with the ground. or exploded
> in the air.

Such a meteorite would be luminous for a few seconds, but would slow to a
subsonic speed while still very high- 10 or 20 miles or more. The remainder
of the fall would take several minutes. That's why sonic booms associated
with meteorite falls are reported a few minutes before the actual impact.
Only a fraction of a percent of falls might involve an object still
traveling faster than sound at impact. And such a fall would certainly
produce a massive fireball- something that was not observed despite the
presence of operating allsky cameras in the area.

> there has to my knowlege never been heard a boom more than
> 9 miles away because the curve of the earth doesnt allow it
> to reach the ground.

The distance sonic booms can be heard depends on the energy of the shock
wave, which mainly depends on the size of the supersonic object, and also on
the ground path and altitude. Meteors and high altitude aircraft produce
sonic booms at ground level when they are below about 30 miles. As those
here who have investigated meteorite falls are well aware, reports of sonic
booms are common for large events over a diameter of 20-30 miles- much more
than your 9 mile estimate.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory