[meteorite-list] Hole in Red Rock Lounge Roof Still a Mystery

From: Greg Stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 15:48:55 -0800

Hole in Red Rock Lounge Roof Still a Mystery

Greg S.

http://www.krdo.com/Global/story.asp?S=11755241

By: Stacey Kaiser
s.kaiser at krdotv.com
Follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/staceykaiser

COLORADO SPRINGS - Was it lightning, some sort of space rock, or ice from a plane?? Fire investigators cannot rule anything out as the cause of a hole in the roof of Red Rock Lounge at 31st and Colorado Avenue in Colorado Springs.

"I saw some insulation sitting on the table and I looked up and there's a hole in my ceiling," said Red Rock Lounge owner Karol Sandvig.? Sandvig noticed the hole when she first walked into her bar, then she saw a note from her bartender.? "Karol, I had to call the cops because something came through the roof and there was a loud boom," said a note from Bartender Tammy Newland.

Firefighters got the call at 11:30pm Wednesday.? They told Newland the boom was heard from their station a few streets away.? "It scared everybody.? Everybody was off their seats pretty quick. I don't think I've seen some of the people in here move that quick," said Newland.

But the big question is, what caused this massive boom and 3-inch hole in the ceiling?? "We tried to rule out things such as lightning, something falling from the sky like a piece of space rock like a small meteorite and we weren't able to rule out anything," said Colorado Springs Fire Department Battalion Chief Steven Dubay.

STORMTRACKER 13 Chief Meteorologist Matt Meister says he was at the station until about 1:00AM and did not see any lightning.? It could be a space rock, but investigators have seen no sign of a rock.? And the hole is too big to be from a bullet.

Sandvig says the hole in her ceiling will not ruin their New Year's Eve celebration.? The landlord said he will be out to fix the hole.