[meteorite-list] "Who is Dr. LaPaz"

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 15:47:32 +0100

Hi Al & all,

the relationship between Nininger, LaPaz and Leonard is quite well depicted
in that more recent article by H.Plotkin & R.S.Clarke Jr:

http://kuerzer.de/PazNinLeo

What we see from our historic angle of view is a story of missed chances.
Nininger was no saint, though he was obsessed of meteorites and hand-tight
results, the means, he chose, to accomplish his aims, weren't always the
right ones.
And we see his pursuit of appreciation of his doubtlessly enormously
successful contribution to meteoritics. That he furthermore hoped to make a
safe living from his work - is more than legitimate.
The mistake, we maybe could blame the contemporaries like LaPaz and Leonard
for, was, not to realise, what for a brilliant field-worker and scientific
practitioner they had with Nininger.
Other fellows were much more aware of that, also earlier, if you remember
that e.g. Henderson from the Smithonian tried to help the Nininger family in
the 1930ies to continue their work, in buying each year meteorites from him
for the museum for $2000 (equates to $33,000 today), although he was
somewhat discontent to obtain mainly weathered ordinary chondrites.

In LaPaz we observe now in the retrospective the type of scientist, who puts
the personal momentum, his own interests and vainness above the objectives
of science and his profession - not shying away of using illegitimate means.

To a certain degree we observe still today - especially in the
dealer/hunter-scientist relation - here and there the same mechanisms
and it's unavoidable, that a few little LaPazes will always cavort in the
meteorite pool.
Individuals like LaPaz are responsible for such a brilliant pioneer like
Nininger being still sometimes described as somewhat shady character in the
chronicles of meteoritics.

Btw. Father Chladni, although he never was hostiled to like a Nininger, but
respected as one of the most brilliant minds and physicist of his times,
had the same problem like Nininger. He always was desperately looking for a
salaried position, but never got one offered - so he had to do small time in
travelling through Europe, died on the road and the place of his grave is
forgotten. Not forgotten is his epoch-making work about the acoustics (and
among us meteorite people, his breakthrough in our field),
and likewise Nininger's finds and pioneer work never will be forgotten,
while such nasty armchair-fellows like LaPaz will always be on the margin of
the pantheon of meteoritis :-)

Best!
Martin