[meteorite-list] Mystery unclassified stone meteorite - what is it?

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 18:50:45 -0500

Hi Greg and List,

Here are two more photos showing the matrix with less glare. The
spots that look white in the photo are the metal flecks. I looked at
it with the 10x loupe and under a top-lit microscope at about 100x.
The flecks are definitely metal. Now that Jason mentions it, it does
bear a passing resemblence to Bison. I wish this stone was bigger, it
was only about 18 grams before I cut it. But I do have a couple of
nice looking (but small) endcuts and slices of it. It looks better
unpolished.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/Meteoritethrower/Meteorites/breccia-dual/breccia-matrix-fleck.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/Meteoritethrower/Meteorites/breccia-dual/breccia-matrix-fleck-2.jpg

I meant to comment on your previous post about screening uNWA for
promising stones - thanks for the tips. I tend to work under the same
lighting in my work area and I use the same loupe and microscope setup
every time. I obviously don't have your experienced eye, but after
looking through many many hundreds (probably thousands) of small
non-descript stones, I am starting to develop a sense for what is
unusual. I'd put such small stones into a cigar box and after a
couple of years, I had a large number of them. When I finally bought
the saw, I started cutting them open. There was a lot of duds and
boring ones that looked better on the outside than the inside. But
there was also a few pleasant surprises - one possible achondrite,
this little breccia, an LL3.6 recently classified, and a couple more
promising (but small) candidates. Unfortunately, my best candidates
are also some of my smallest, so most of them really aren't worth the
trouble and expense of classifying - unless they turn out to be
planetaries, which I haven't been that lucky yet.

Best regards,

MikeG