[meteorite-list] Rocks from Space Picture of the Day - February 24, 2010

From: Darryl Pitt <darryl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:12:52 -0500

Dear List and Mike, Adam, Carl...

The voids remarked upon are not vesicles but an artifact of
weathering. The depressions seen are the end points where by water
penetrated the meteorite and you just aren't able to see the entry
point (which were the crevasses between the ziggurat structures).

For vug lovers--and I count myself among you!: Lovina does indeed
contain a blanketing of tiny vugs, which are fun to have but are
actuality only fully oxidized iron sulfide pockets. Remember, Lovina
was in saltwater for centuries, if not longer. If you enlarge and
scan the image of the cut surface, you can see where the sulfide
remains in the matrix and where it oxidized out.

As expressed by J. Wasson, the compositional fingerprint (the
meteorite's DNA, if you will) is the incontrovertible smoking gun.

All best / Darryl