[meteorite-list] Microscope search

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 18:39:57 -0800 (PST)

Hey Paul.

A seemingly simple question with literally hundreds of answers. I just purchased a microscope, but I think my needs were possibly very different than many of the people on this list.

Here's a few questions to ask yourself before you can narrow down the microscope that is right for you.

How much can you budget for the microscope?

Do you only want to view individuals and slices at lower power to see the details you mention better, or do you want to view thin sections in polarized light at high magnification?

Do you want to do photography of your meteorites?

Do you want to view things other than meteorites, ie. biological specimens?

If you simply want to view your specimens magnified and have no plans to view or photograph thin sections, you can find a reasonably good 10x - 30x stereo microscope for about $100. For another $50 you can find a VGA webcam that can be mounted where one of the eyepieces goes and view your specimens on your computer screen.

Of course if you want to have a microscope that can "do everything" you're going to have to have a very large budget. But, as you can see on Tom's page, he has multiple microscopes to do what he needs, so a simple $100 stereo microscope might be enough to get your feet wet and help solidify the direction you want to go if, I mean when you purchase your next microscope!

I can tell you more about the microscope I just purchased and why I got what I did privately if you are interested.

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography