[meteorite-list] Degrees in Meteoritics

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:49:23 -0700

There is no such thing as an undergraduate degree in meteoritics. Many good
schools, however, should provide independent study opportunities for
students with astronomy, geology, geophysics type majors to explore the
area.

The situation is different with graduate studies, however. Here, you would
look for an academic researcher as an advisor, and you'd work on an advanced
degree under that person (and whatever department he happened to be
associated with). You don't get a PhD in any particular subject, you choose
your research and specialization based on your own interests and the
expertise of your advisor and other staff at a particular institution.

IMO there is more than enough room for some more meteoritics researchers, so
there's no reason to discourage high school students from pursuing this
area. Realistically, very few will actually do so. They should focus their
undergraduate studies in the physical sciences.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com