[meteorite-list] More on Muchison.....

From: Dark Matter <freequarks_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 12:24:06 -0700

Hi Shawn and all,

I've heard that a back-of-the-envelope calculation of the presolar
diamonds in meteorites could push the age limits to 10 billion years
ago. Not quite the Big Bang, but you can see it from there.

This number comes from the adding the age of our solar system (when
the diamonds were captured in our home material), to the age of a
star-centered solar system that could have created the diamonds in the
first place. Similar to a conceptual extension of the line in the
linked .pdf where it says, "For example, some small diamond crystals
in meteorites have high levels of heavy xenon isotopes that imply that
they originated from a supernova explosion."

Best,

Martin