[meteorite-list] PV and Iron stability

From: Steve Witt <stelor96_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:50:52 -0800 (PST)

Robert,

Total speculation on my part, but the Met Society states that "Etching of centimeter-sized metal areas (of PV) reveals a fine Widmanst?tten pattern, bandwidth = 0.02 to 0.81 mm (average 0.32 mm). This bandwidth is comparable to Gibeon, which has always been considered a stable iron with a nickel content of 7.8 - 12.7% (even though it has been on the ground for some time. So my thought was with the quick recovery of PV as well as the higher nickel content in the metal veins, has resulted in the iron being very stable. Just my two cents worth. Maybe the pros can weigh in.

Regards,
Steve