[meteorite-list] NEO computer hacked

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 06:35:14 -0800 (PST)

"Until further notice, all circular issuance from the MPC (and CBAT,
which is continuing to issue IAUCs/CBETs via the CfA for the next
few months) is suspended.

"I received a phone call from our Computation Facility informing
me that my Linux account had been hacked. While they investigate
the problem and try to track down the gimboid who did this, my
user account and the two accounts used to mail out circulars have
been disabled. It is unlikely that our core VMS cluster has been
compromised (since I don't recall accessing my VMS system from any
CF Linux system), but I have yet to do full check of the network
logs. The earliest indication that the CF has that something was
amiss was yesterday evening, so kudos for them jumping on the problem
so quickly.

"I will work on setting up an alternate route for mailing out
circulars, but that is going to take some time. The posting of
circulars on the Web, as well as the updating of various data files
on our web/ftp server may be off-line for some time.

"Gareth"