[meteorite-list] Russian meteorites-- don't take them for granite!

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:50:31 -0800 (PST)

I guess we will have to take the Moroccans at their word to where they were found; innocent until proven guilty, at least in the U.S.

The only bordering country with possible new laws on the books is Algeria. I know that this border is very well protected these days so only a fraction may still be coming through. Our group was in touch with a diplomat for Algeria so I do know they started to take an interest in meteorites about 5 or 6 years ago. They were hoping that the proceeds from meteorite sales could help them to open a museum. This would have been a great cause but the logistics just didn't work out. Western Sahara is under Moroccan rule so I do not see a problem there. All this means to me is that the majority of this material is coming from countries that do not have laws concerning them. The only questionable surrounding country being Algeria.

Best Regards,

Adam