[meteorite-list] SAU 290 & L3 blue inclusion

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:25:31 +0100

Hi Jeff,

Thanks Jeff for your very interesting and
expertized statements on SAU 290. Since I read
them, I am also starting to consider my 7.93 g
end section just a little more significant than a
simple or rare collection curiosity.

Thanks also for providing Gary's close-up of the blue inclusion in his L3.
Even if magnified, it is difficult to guess (from
the pic) whether it has a metallic luster or it
is rather a "blue stony" (glassy ?) inclusion.
I suggest Gary examines it at different
reflection angles under magnification to possibly
answer that question, namely to discriminate
between a hibonite-bearing inclusion (or alike)
and some Cu-Fe sulfide (or any other blue metallic phase).
(Btw, thank you and Peter for your kind comments).

Side note:

I'd also like to answer Jeff Grossman's comments
regarding the "blue chondrule" we had found in TNZ 082.

Jeff wrote (post sent Feb 7):

<If this is a hibonite-bearing CAI, is it
important? There is current research on hibonite
in CMs, e.g. http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0016703709003251.
I would contact somebody like Andy Davis at U.
Chicago, a coauthor on this paper, and get his
opinion if you're thinking of donating this to science>.

That fragment of TNZ 082 was broken in Munich by
the team of Philippe Schmitt-Kopplin with whom we
collaborate to investigate the presence of
organic extraterrestrial molecules (PAH's & O-,
N- or S-substitutes) in a series of CM2's, among which TNZ 082 and others.
(Btw, our first paper on Murchison is almost out
of press. We were notified the the "embargo" on
that publication will end beginning next week; I'll then send you the link).

Jeff, I have notified my German colleagues of
your wise suggestion to contact the U. Chicago team.
They answered me that they are right now being
analyzing that inclusion by microprobe just to
determine the elemental composition.
Microprobe being a non-destructive technique (the
sample won't be gold-coated), they agreed that,
if of interest, the chondrule could then be sent
as such for further investigation to some other lab.
In such a case, we will get in contact with Andy Davis' team.

Many thanks for the suggestion and for all your comments.

Kind regards to all (from the very snowy and cold
Alsace, France; apparently, seems we must go
above the Polar Circle to get mild weather...?)

Zelimir