[meteorite-list] Matter Arising - Last Post

From: Peter Davidson <P.Davidson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:37:35 -0000

Dear List Members

When I posted my original message under the title "Matters Arising", I expected a big response and in that respect I have not been disappointed. I would like to thank every one of you that took the trouble to reply. There were a lot of interesting comments and quite a few suggestions, but I will keep it clean.
What did surprise me, and I don't know why it did, was the overwhelmingly positive response. I would say the between 90 and 95% was positive and supportive. Many of you replied off-list and I have tried to reply to each of you in a like manner, If I have missed anyone out, please forgive me but there are only so many hours in a working-day.
Following on from the critical messages, I would just like to publically apologise if I caused any offence. I was guilty of utilising some very crass, and inappropriate stereotypes - as a Scot, I am well aware of the many negative stereotypes that exist for us - and I should have used more considered language. This rankles particularly as I am always lecturing (or should that be hectoring) my kids about adopting stereotypes to categorise groups of people. Do as I say, not as I do!
I hope that with this message, we can draw a line under this topic and can I urge all list members to please, please, please keep your postings on-topic and on-message.

Best Wishes

Peter Davidson
Curator of Minerals
?
National Museums Collection Centre
National Museums Scotland
242 West Granton Road
Edinburgh
EH5 1JA
Phone: +44?131 247 4283
p.davidson at nms.ac.uk
www.nms.ac.uk
?
?

Meet Your Maker, the creative minds behind Scotland's crafts. National Museum of Scotland, 29 January - 14 March. www.nms.ac.uk/maker

National Museums Scotland, Scottish Charity, No. SC 011130
This communication is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the addressee please inform the sender and delete the email from your system. The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of National Museums Scotland. This message is subject to the Data Protection Act 1998 and Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002. No liability is accepted for any harm that may be caused to your systems or data by this message.