[meteorite-list] Fw: RFSPOD - February 9, 2010 Buzzard Coulee Blue Inclusion

From: Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 20:48:24 +1100

Hi all,

Thanks for everyone's input. Firstly, Robert... one of the initial thoughts
I had was exactly the same in regards to the silver streaks on Ash Creek.
Maybe it is a related type of feature.

And Mark, you're not really mistaken. Mine appears on the surface of the
trailing side of the oriented individual. I say surface and not crust
because it does look like an interior metallic inclusion which is showing
through and coloured. Gary's awesome pic of his L3 with the interior
inclusion is very much like mine but on a smaller scale. It could be quite
possible that they are one and the same thing so maybe it is a result of
oxidation and not an ablation thing.

Has there been any documentation of metallic inclusions in Buzzard Coulee?
(i.e. Fe/Ni, FeS, etc) In other falls like Bensour, this was specifically
mentioned in the classification data. It would seem there are quite a few
people who have noticed them in Buzzard stones now too.

John's suggestion of Bornite is very interesting. I had never actually heard
of it before, but it does look VERY much like that. A brilliant iridescent
blue.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&safe=off&q=Bornite

When I googled Bornite and meteorites, the Meteorites Knowledge Base came up
as a hit. It lists it as "terrestrially weathered iron meteorite mineral".

http://www.site.uottawa.ca:4321/meteorites/index.html#bornite

So if this is an oxidation thing as a few have suggested now, I'm wondering
if it happened on the ground or during ablation in the disturbed wake at the
back of the stone and in the bottom of an indent?

Cheers,

Jeff