[meteorite-list] blue chondrule in a CM2

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 19:11:29 -0500

CAIs can be quite round. The famous "Blue Angel" CAI was a fairly
round, mm-size object in another CM chondrite, Murchison (this
publication was in 1982-ish in GCA). Not all hibonite in meteoritic
CAIs is the same color. The blue comes from Ti3+, formed under reducing
conditions. The blue ones are very well-known in CM chondrites, but
hibonite goes all the way from blue to white depending on the conditions
of formation and maybe bulk composition.

To tell if it's really a CAI, you'd probably have to analyze some grains
or make a polished section.

If this is a hibonite-bearing CAI, is it important? There is current
research on hibonite in CMs, e.g.
http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0016703709003251. I would
contact somebody like Andy Davis at U. Chicago, a coauthor on this
paper, and get his opinion if you're thinking of donating this to science.

Jeff

--
Dr. Jeffrey N. Grossman       phone: (703) 648-6184
US Geological Survey          fax:   (703) 648-6383