[meteorite-list] Ireland fireball---report from the Emerald Isle

From: jim_brady611 at o2.co.uk <jim_brady611_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 23:20:42 +0000 (GMT)

Meteorite listees
                  Since learning of this fireball initially from this
list last night I have been monitering the situation closely.Sightings
were being reported from far and wide,almost literally the whole upper
North half of the island of Ireland seem to have witnessed this
incoming strike.

There were reports all over the interweb and on radio and tv here
about a possible landing in County Cavan so that had me really excited
and I was up early this morning prepared to drive down-it's about a 2
hour drive from me and coincidentally it just happens to be an area I'm
familiar with as we have a family holiday home in County Cavan in the
town of Belturbet about 15 miles or so from the supposed impact site in
Crimlin.

I was trying to get a grip on why everyone was hyping the Crimlin zone
as a possile impact point before I drove down as this area is dotted
with many lakes and loughs and it would need to be a good lead before I
cancelled my previous itinerary for the day.However I finally caught an
interview with the farmer in question who I believe has initiated this
Crimlin frenzy and he was less than convincing shall we say.There was
no mention of him hearing anything-let alone even a sonic boom.He said
the thing was slowing down and landed in the back of his fields--he was
out there looking for burned earth and obviously hadn't a clue that
this thing could have landed 50 miles away.

Other people have reported it landing in Omagh, or Lough Neagh and
even as far north as Derry.Until some more witness reports materialise
or cctv footage surfaces I'll be holding my horses.
But ready to go at a moments notice if any radar data or something
good materialises.
It rained much of today too so these stones that very likely are lying
out there somewhere are starting to weather.
All the best
Jim Brady