[meteorite-list] Firearms related posts on a meteorite list

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 00:08:23 -0800

Erik, All,

> Jason if you want to twist and distort things than buy silly putty.

If I said anything untrue, by all means call me out on it. But using
blanket statements like "you twist things" is a substanceless and
ultimately meaningless thing to do; I can call you an idiot, but if I
say only that, well, someone who values my opinion might think you an
idiot, but in the end, I haven't really said anything relevant or
meaningful.

I merely pointed out that many of the arguments that Robert used were
flawed. If disagreeing with someone, pointing out the flaws in their
arguments, and then making a few of my own is "twisting and
distorting" things, then...well, you're going to have a hell of a time
getting along with people with whom you disagree, because even if they
like discussing such things, you'll just piss them off with your trite
comments.

>Works great for holding meteorites for photographs or display.? I recommend clay more but then you wouldn't be able to twist >and distort it as easily.? Your choice will have to depend on how much of a challenge you want. Just make sure it doesn't slip >into the cracks in the meteorite as it will be hard to clean out!

Again, you're not even addressing what I said, but merely using
blanket statements aimed at insulting me.
This isn't a good way to go about a counter-argument, because you're
merely attacking my credibility, presumably because you have no good
rebuttal. In any sort of a formal debate, you'd lose a lot of points
for this.

> Gun crimes will decrease if fire arms are made illegal but also if the psycho gunman is out gunned that he won't initiate a massacre.

Hardly. If you look at all of the more infamous "rampages" in the
past, practically none were stopped by civilian gunmen. It was always
police action that took care of the issue in the end - or the shooter,
who turned the gun on his or herself.

>Iv'e never heard of a massacre at a gun show, or in a police head quarters where there were groups of armed persons...? Why is that Jason?

Well, there are a few problems with this train of thought -
1) most massacres occur in places and claim the lives of people who
were close to the killer - namely because they felt wronged by certain
people close to them, etc.
2) thus there are a high number of school shootings, university
shootings, office shootings, etc.
3) unless someone had a problem with gun shows, a police station, or a
number of people at either venue, and was willing to lay their life on
the line to kill the folks there, the person's not going to do it
4) along those lines I think it would be unlikely for someone to stage
a shooting at a gun show because, while it's a political issue, gun
control is precisely that - it ties less into morals and more into
politics - unlike abortion, gay marriage, etc.
5) similarly, while many people have a problem with the police, they
typically try to avoid them because it's a well known fact that
they're good with firearms. Which means that massacres don't happen
there because police stop them, but because everyone knows it would be
a rather quick ending.
6) Even if someone has a gun visible on their person, if I had one,
and, say, wanted their money, or to kill them, they wouldn't have a
chance in hell of surviving, because they wouldn't see me coming.
It's one thing to walk up to a police station and start shooting.
It's another to walk up behind someone with a gun in your pocket and
put it to the back of their head.

But that's the point, isn't it. If one of those people decided to
target *you,* even if you had a gun, it wouldn't make much of a
difference, unless you saw them coming, realized their intent, and
were able to literally outdraw them. So unless they're a complete
idiot, you're as good as dead.

> Your debate can be reversed as well.? If we take away weapons, gun crimes will decrease.

True.

>Also, If we urge and train >citizens to carry fire arms, gun crimes will decrease.

False. Higher availability means greater access to guns (more crimes
as well) and greater number of accidents regardless of training.

If there were fewer cars on the road, adding more cars and training
drivers more might decrease the percentage of accidents relative to
the number of drivers, but the overall number of accidents would go up
overall. As can be seen with the increase in automobile crashes with
greater numbers of cars and drivers, in the face of the advent of
standardized (and increasingly stringent) licensing policies in the
US.

And since we base gun-crimes statistics on population versus crimes,
as opposed to the number of guns in the area versus crimes, that means
that crime rates would increase.

>We can find exceptions to either case.? If we take away guns, then >only people who buy illegal guns will have guns and >people will be defenseless.

Most people are "defenseless" right now anyways. And guess what --
those people are less likely to be shat than you, a gun owner, are:

http://www.guninformation.org/

"Self defense is not a good argument against gun control since those
who own firearms are actually more likely to be victims of homicide.
Two studies published in The New England Journal of Medicine revealed
that keeping a gun in the home increases the risk of both suicide and
homicide. Keeping a gun in the home makes it 2.7 times more likely
that someone will be a victim of homicide in your home (in almost all
cases the victim is either related to or intimately acquainted with
the murderer) (source) and 4.8 times more likely that someone will
commit suicide (source). Guns make it more likely that a suicide
attempt will be successful than if other means were used such as
sleeping pills."

And the fact remains that your chances of dying in an armed robbery
are higher if you own a gun. Your logic is simply off on this one.

> If we urge citizens to carry fire arms, >accidents involving guns will increase.
> I think it's best to keep it the way it is: if you want to own one, do, if you don't, don't.
> Govern your safety or depend on someone else too.? The freedom of choice.

By all means; I'm not trying to take your right away. It just pisses
me off when people on the list go and make childish statements like
the photos that have been posted - not to mention the fact that they
keep posting their points of view and then saying "but this shouldn't
be on the list, so don't reply on here."
I agree; this shouldn't be on the list. I stopped replying to this a
while ago, but recent posts have just annoyed me to the point of
actually speaking out again. If you want to stop the posts, stop
posting. Jesus.

> Gun owner are violent and those who don't own guns are neurotic.? Right? Wrong...

No one said that. To quote someone who messaged me privately,
-----

"You make some good points. What people don't understand is that the
2nd Amendment was not written with the intention of granting us the
right to run around, acting like complete idiots with a total lack of
maturity and responsibility. What amazes me is that, at least here X,
anyone can go to a gun store and purchase a firearm WITHOUT being
certified in gun safety and handling. If I would see an "Average Joe"
(..and I never have) walking down the street here in X, dressed in
novelty camo pants with a gun on his belt... that would tend to make
me a little nervous. Why? Because I wouldn't know what kind of formal
training he has, what his intentions are, or whether or not he is
mentally fit to do so. All of these people, particularly in "the
country", who strut around with a gun on their waist just "because I
can" really do tend to piss me off. I'd like to see them try that in
the inner city - they wouldn't last 10 minutes before getting shot
from behind and robbed of their gun and valuables. There was actually
a "gun rights" demonstration here not too long ago - all of these
"cool" hicks and rednecks (stereotype? maybe, maybe not) gathered,
some dressed in fake camo or dark "SWAT" style pants, wishing they
were an actual figure of authority, someone important - someone who I
actually have deep respect for; Police officers. Soldiers. Anyone
whose profession and dedication is to protect and serve with their
extensive training and valor. I am comfortable around them. If some of
these people could witness (first hand), at least once, the
destruction that even a single gunshot can have on the human body...
perhaps they would have more respect for the power to which they
behold."
-----

Pretty much sums up my point of view. Guns have a purpose. *You*
don't need them for that purpose, and they're for all intensive
purposes actually making the odds higher that you'll die from a gun,
whether it's yours or someone else's. That's where everything you say
falls apart; you keep insisting they're good tools for self defense
when studies show that you're actually at a greater risk for having
one. Go figure.

>The topic is elegant, simple and complex at the same time. Much like the structure of each chondrule. No view is right or >wrong, only the delivery of the view.

Just...wow. All I've seen so far is a bunch of folks who are in
denial about the fact that the toys they like to play with are used
for murder, and that having them around makes its happening all the
more likely.
Hardly elegant or simple.

Jason