[meteorite-list] Matters Arising.

From: GREG LINDH <geeg48_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 19:40:07 -0700

  I'm sorry folks, but some of you need to get a life. That photo was just plain fun. The last thing any of those folks in the photo (I only recognized Geoff Notkin) had in mind was to start this. Really....what a pantload!

  Yes, I live in Arizona...yes, you're allowed to carry a weapon in Arizona...yes, I've lived around guns my whole life...yes I own several of them....yes, I enjoy shooting them...yes, I understand gun safety rules and I wouldn't point a weapon at anything I didn't intend to shoot, but PLEASE!

  I don't think the objections to the photo had anything to do with "gun safety". I think it had more to do with a mindset that is basically anti-gun. It's as if having a gun in the same photo that has a meteorite in it somehow taints the meteorite and the people in it. PLEASE! It's hard to tell from the photo whether it's a real weapon or not. I wish that it had been a bright "day glow" green, plastic squirt gun, but you know what, I still think that objections would still have been be raised. Like I said, this all has to do with a certain mindset. Period.