[meteorite-list] Museums Keeping meteorites dry

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 15:45:02 -0800 (PST)

I am advising an institution here in New Zealand who is planning to put together a world class meteorite collection for public display. They already have a dozen or so meteorites on display (Mostly donated by dealers like Haag who has a "thank you" next to the specimens already there) but they are going to put together what will surely be New Zealands greatest meteorite collection when complete.
The question is what should they be displayed in and what type of climate control is necessary.
New Zealand dont get overly hot or cold so temperature will not be an issue but Kiwis go to London for a nice dry vacation where it doesnt rain all that much. It seems to rain all the time here and humidity is often very high.
I have some ideas but please let me know what you think would be best and what meteorite types in particular need special climate control.
They are putting the display together before acquiring the specimens so want to get it right from the start.
Any advice or ideas that would help keep this public meteorite display from crumbling in the high humidity would be greatly appreciated
Sincerely
DEAN