[meteorite-list] Crystals in Lunar Meteorites...?

From: Randy Korotev <korotev_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 09:10:32 -0600

Greg;

Most lunar rocks are impact breccias - rocks made up of bits and
pieces of older rocks. The pieces are called clasts and they may be
suspended in a matrix of crystallized impact melt, glass, or
shocked-compressed smaller clasts. Big clasts are fragments of
rocks. The smaller clasts are typically single mineral grains. It's
not uncommon to see clasts of "breccias in breccias in
breccias." Often, the clasts are cracked and bent as a result of
shock (visible in thin section). These effects also destroy the
transparency. It would be rare to see an attractive mineral clast
with a hand lens on the broken surface of a lunar breccia. Keep in
mind that the ancient lunar highlands is ~80% plagioclase and the
rest is mainly pyroxene and olivine. Plag doesn't take well to being
beat up. You're most likely to see an olivine crystal, but it won't
be very big.

There are two coarse-grained basalts among the lunar meteorites,
almost certainly source-crater paired.

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/stones/mil05035.htm
http://meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/stones/asuka881757.htm

They show little evidence of having been affected by impacts (other
than the obvious - they were found on Earth!). As a consequence,
they have big crystals, by lunar standards.

Small olivine grains are obvious on NWA032/479

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/stones/nwa0032.htm

Oh, and a petrographically inclined colleague reminded me yesterday
that it's "crossed nicols," not "nichols," and that the metal in
lunar breccias is, in fact, crystalline, though a bit opaque.

Randy Korotev