[meteorite-list] Need to sell some meteorites

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 20:12:03 -0500

I want to thank everyone who has had interest in buying the meteorites and has
had concern for my grandmother. Since I vented on the list, I thought I'd give
a little update. (Stick around for the end.) Friday night, the 24th, when I
had to take her to the hospital, she had suddenly had a major change in her
mental clarity-- she had been reasonably lucid before (but with short-term
memory issues) but over the course of maybe half an hour that night she dropped
away to sentence fragments and gibberish. I thought that she was dying at that
very moment. By the time I got her to the hospital, she was fully
unresponsive-- still ALIVE, but no reactions to anything-- speech, noises,
movement, no flinches when being stuck with needles-- nothing. She remained
that way all that night (I stayed in the room) and all the next day-- no
movements or speech whatsoever in reaction to anything, even loud clapping in
front of her face (except of some groans when being lifted and moved around,
which might have been reflexive.) The doctors diagnosed problems-- pneumonia,
possibly a kidney infection-- but they gave no indication that they thought she
would ever regain conciousness, and what they were advising me on was signing a
DNR and possible ways to "keep her comfortable" and not treatments (although the
were pumping heavy-duty antibiotics into her.)

So I go in this morning, ready to sign the DNR the doctor was scheduled to talk
to me about again, and as I came near the room I saw a nurse had positioned her
workstation in the doorway to my grandmother's room, and I figured that she was
soon to be gone. The nurse and I talked for a couple of minutes, she told me
that she was watching because she was worried about her breathing (heavy,
somewhat phlegmy) said that he hadn't reacted to anything while I was gone other
than a groan when moved, and left. Then I saw that my grandmother had her hand
against her face insted of lying down-- and I thought I saw it move. I asked
her if she was awake, and she was able to answer me. She knew who she was, who
I was, she was able to ask questions and answer them (even if you have to repeat
the question to her a couple of times, and if she would ask the same question
again 5 minutes later.) She is far from clear headed, and not even as lucid as
she was before 2 days ago, but she seems to have improved throughout the day,
and before this morning I had absolutely no expectation of her ever being
concious again. The same doctor I spoke with yesterday didn't mention the DRN
again today and instead was asking me to think about future healthcare (while
reminding me that she still is a long way from being out of the woods.) So I
don't know how much she will recover or IF she'll recover or if this is a short
anomaly, but I don't think that anyone at the hospital expected even this degree
of recovery. So I'm not jumping to any conclusions yet, but there is at least
the possibility of my not losing my current "job" yet with the immediacy that I
was thinking of when I vented last night.

(Even so, I still want to sell the meteorites I mentioned.)