[meteorite-list] Question about lost shipment and what to do.

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 13:02:53 -0500

Hi Mike, Gary, Al, Bernd, Chris, and List,

I concur with Gary on this one about USPS. Now, I don't completely
disagree with Chris Peterson's assessment of the postal service,
because they have their fair share of inefficiency and waste - and
that is why they are hemorrhaging money to the tune of billions of
dollars.

Perhaps I have just been lucky with USPS. It is very rarely that I
lose a package without a trace. I've been selling a wide-range of
collectibles online since 1999 and I can count on one hand the number
of times USPS has lost a package (or damaged it to the point of being
a total loss). This handful of lost packages was the minority in
thousands of successful mailings.

More frequently, a package will be slow through USPS and take several
days (to weeks) longer to arrive than it should. Delays of a few days
are not uncommon and delays of weeks happen about once a year. In my
personal experience, the "hiccup rate" with USPS is about one package
out of a few or several hundreds.

On the other hand, I have shipped via UPS about 20 times in my
lifetime. Out of those 20 times, I have had major issues about a
half-dozen times. This includes lost packages, damaged packages, and
very poor customer service. My personal hiccup rate with UPS has been
about 25-30% of packages shipped. For this reason, I ceased using
them entirely about 2 years ago. I don't even like buying from
vendors who use UPS and I tend to avoid sellers who ship via UPS in
favor of those who ship via USPS or FedEx.

I've never had a problem with FedEx and find their service to be
reliable, albeit more expensive.

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Meteorite Top List - http://meteorite.gotop100.com